Now I go on about stress a lot and how it hinders progress with regards to weight loss. I know about the cortisol levels and the problems it creates but I got another insight to it recently – MAGNESIUM.
I have always known magnesium is an incredibly powerful supplement but now I know its even more so!
1) When we have high levels of stress our bodies burn out all the magnesium within us.
2) Your body being amazingly clever, realises this and tells your brain “Get magnesium Get Magnesium” this is shown through hunger.
3) So we pop to the fridge and grab a sandwich, chicken fillet, apple, bag of crisps….whatever you reach for.
4) However because we haven’t had the right foods, we have not replaced the magnesium
5) Guess what….. your body says “Get magnesium Get Magnesium”
6) 20 minutes later you are ‘hungry’ again, so you eat something else
This can continue forever in a highly stressed person as we are never replenishing the magnesium that the stress has burned off.
Some foods that contain magnesium are
~dark leafy greens
~nuts and seeds
Even eating these regularly if you are suffering high levels of stress you still may not have enough magnesium in your system.
Magnesium is a great supplement for everyone but a highly stressed person may need 3 or 4 times the RDA.
How do you know if you are having too much? You get the runs! So if you are taking it and everything toilet wise is fine you can be happy knowing you are giving your body what it needs.
So if you are one of the many running round like a headless chicken a chat to a nutritional therapist or your Doc about stress and magnesium may be in order.
Have a great day
The Feel Fab Coach
Personal Trainer Sheffield